Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Bears have invaded Oakhurst CA

In April, we spent a week in Oakhurst CA while Alan taught Kachina carving at the Woodcarvers' Rendezvous.  I wasn't taking any classes, so I spent my time exploring lots of areas I could reach on foot - no small feat since the two major streets are actually highways and there are no sidewalks in many places.  It took extra care to walk here, but I got my exercise and learned lots too.

Here is a picture of Alan teaching his class.

At some unknown date in the past, lots of bears were put in front of businesses all around town.  One is resin, but I believe all the others are carved.  It is sad to see that they haven't been kept up very well, but I still enjoyed seeing them.









I also came upon the Teddy Bear Museum, one part of the Knight Victorian Museum.  Obviously, Oakhurst is a big bear town!



Oakhurst also has an unexpectedly great bead store, wonderful restaurants and very nice people.

No comments:

Post a Comment